Friday, July 16, 2010

I have 45 RPM records that are marked DJ USE ONLY PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR SALE . Are they worth more?

I HAVE STACKS OF 45 RPMS ALL PROMOS WITH SONGS AND ARTISTS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OFI have 45 RPM records that are marked DJ USE ONLY PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR SALE . Are they worth more?
As a record collector, I can tell you that what you have are 45 rpm records that were given by the music labels for air-play and were done so as a promotion to get the artist played on the air. These records also might have music on them that have different 'A' and 'B' sides than what was originally released to the consumer market.





Different records collectors and fans have different ways of putting values on these types of things and while one record collector might say, for example, that a record is worth $50, a true fan or groupie of the artist might be willing to pay $100+.





Another factor (and probably the most important one of all) on basing the value of a record is the overall condition. By this, I mean, you might have a true collectible, but if it has deep scratches and the label is not pristine, it could be absolutely worthless.





I AM NOT IN THE MARKET, personally, OF CURRENTLY BUYING ANY RECORDS, but when I do go out looking for them, one of the first ways I look at a record is to find those with covers that do not show the outline of the record or any signs of wear along the edge that has the title and artist on it. Then, I will hold the record or 45 at a slight angle in the light and look for any deep scratches in the vinyl, itself (some scratching is ok, but the deeper scratching is a sure sign that the record has severe scratching in it) and I will avoid these. I also factor in my personal favorite artists and genre %26lt;my personal taste is music from the 1950s to the early 1990s%26gt; as to figure out what I might be willing to pay for something (and this varies).





You can also go to the local bookstore and find a book called The Official Pricing Guide to Record Collecting in the Collectibles section to get a basis of finding out what your collection might be worth in case you might want to know what your records are worth.





GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY COLLECTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment